Welcome to picnic season! In preparation of our upcoming Package-Free Picnic, we’ve been thinking of ways to incorporate zero waste living into our favorite outdoor activity (eating).
During your next picnic or family gathering, consider taking a few simple steps towards a more eco-friendly meal experience:
- Bring reusable plates, cutlery, & cloth napkins in favor of disposables
- Plan meals with ingredients that can be purchased in bulk or without packaging. Your co-op is sure to have fresh vegetables, and bulk beans, pasta, spices, oats, etc.
- Shop your local farmer’s market this weekend to pick up fresh veggies!
- Make it a #MeatlessMonday and consider a plant-based meal (March to a different drumstick with these easy veggie recipes!)
- Bring a bottle of wine or refillable growler of beer instead of cans
- If you need to wrap food, use tin foil (which can be recycled), wax paper (which can be composted), or reusable food wraps!
- Collect food scraps in one container to compost later
And don’t forget to whip up a few of these no-waste, picnic-friendly recipes:
- Vegetables & homemade hummus
- Kale chips
- Homemade salsa (the possibilities are endless, but this is our favorite!)
- Sesame sticks (bulk)
- Cheese (in wax paper) + baguette
- All Veggie Kale Stir Fry
- Sweet potato wedges
- Veggie burgers! Instead of frozen, make your own & bring buns from a local bakery.
- Farmer’s Market Potato Salads with homemade dressings
- Classic Pasta Salads (with pasta from bulk bins!)
- Veggie Skewers
- Roasted vegetables + potatoes
- Frittata (eggs in bulk, milk in glass container, cheese in wax paper, and any vegetables you want)
- Chocolate Chip Cookies – vegan & can be made package-free using your bulk aisle!
- Easy Banana Muffins – these are a delicious & super satisfying dessert for any meal. All ingredients can be found in bulk or compostable packaging!
- Watermelon, frozen peaches, any other fruit you can think of
- Fig Newtons (in your bulk section)
- No bake chocolate bites
- Water in your reusable water bottle
- Homemade iced tea – try making your own tea bags that are compostable or use a mesh strainer for bulk tea leaves!
- Lemonade – easy and delicious.
- Wine or growler of beer